Monday, June 30, 2014

Does Weight Loss Still Happen When You Are Sick?

A few weeks ago, I succumbed to the massive cold virus of the season. Being mildly asthmatic, all respiratory viruses make me feel like Loki being thrashed by the Hulk in The Avengers.

This was considerably annoying considering that I had grand plans for those couple of weeks of my life. And of course one of my biggest fears is: what happens to all my weight loss plans when you get sick?


At a few other of my less productive attempts at weight loss, getting sick was basically the death of my plans. The scenario would play out something like this:

1) Come down with illness
2) Eat what I wanted and not worry about it.
3) Gain weight
4) Heal from illness but feel so defeated that I don't return to my weight loss plans.

So what did I do different this time?

I didn't allow myself to feel defeated.

In fact, I gave myself permission to not log points when I'm running a fever of 101.8 without shame. To eat whatever I wanted when I can hardly taste anything.  So there were a number of occasions that I admittedly at things that weren't always Weight Watchers friendly but were definitely needed in the face of food that tasted bland.

As suspected, I did gain a couple pounds. But I had prepared myself for the possibility that I might have gained a couple pounds at most back, but that those would easily go away pretty soon once I was feeling good enough to get back in the food tracking gain.

Guess what? I was right.

Not only did I lose those couple pounds, but I lost those again and then some bringing my weight loss between last week and this 4.2 lbs.

My total since starting Weight Watchers is then, get this,

22.2 lbs!!!

My point is this: don't allow yourself to remain depressed and defeated. The main goal when you are sick is getting well. Then, and only then, you can get back into the game.  But until then, let the virus take its course and don't worry about it.

Before you know it, you'll be getting back into the swing of things and life will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment